Making Blueberry Cuttings for the Homestead

I want to be able to grow as much of my diet as feasible, which means I’m going to need a lot more blueberry bushes. Over the last few years I’ve been trying to grow new plants from cuttings without much luck.

After trying multiple different techniques and soil combos, this year I started having some success. The following steps have given me the best success thus far…

I cut a thick piece of new green growth right below a node from an existing plant. Then I trimmed all but a few leaves at the top. I made 3, 1 inch incisions at the base of the stem and dipped it in rooting hormone. Then I placed it in a hole in the soil I had dug with my finger so that it didn’t wipe off all the rooting hormone when I pressed it in. The soil was a 50/50 mix of coconut fiber and sand, placed in a container with good drainage holes. I then wet the soil and placed this inside of a plastic storage tote.

I still have some issues with the plants dying off, but I’m making progress. If you have tips on how to improve the process let me know in the comments below. I’m definitely still trying to refine my technique.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s